Sights of Kaliningrad
World Ocean Museum
The museum of the World ocean in Kaliningrad is unique in own way. The most interesting exhibit of the museum, perhaps, is submarine B-413.
The Submarine «B-413» has seven compartments - bow torpedo compartment, bow storage and inhabited compartment, the central post, a fodder storage and inhabited compartment, a diesel compartment, an electromotor compartment, a fodder torpedo and inhabited compartment. In the second compartment cabins of the commander and officers, an officer wardroom, hydroacoustic cabinare locates, there are cabins of officers and warrant officers, ward-room of petty officers, galley are in the fourth compartment. In the seventh one bunks of ranks, means of life-saving, emergency hatch locates.
On a museum submarine «B-413» the exhibition «From history of the Russian underwater fleet» is opened.
From other interesting exhibits and excursions of a museum:
Museum vessel '' Knight ''. Sightseeing tour «Life of vessel» - you will walk on vessel from the main deck up to the captain's bridge. Will visit the saloon of a command and a wardroom, hydrological laboratory and a cabin of the chief of expedition, drop in at pantry, lantern, gydrocompass room, infirmary, cabin of the senior mechanic and the captain, visit mate and running cabins, will walk on decks of vessel and will get acquainted with its device.
Sea Kyonigsberg in sea club. Visit cabins of four «Vityazes» of the Russian Fleet: the great scientist N. N. Miklukho-Maklaj, the well-known admiral S. O. Makarov, the chief of expedition of a museum vessel and a modern vessel. Will get acquainted in the exhibition of «Berega» located in historical halls..
«Amazing world of ocean» - you will visit biological laboratories of scientific vessel «Vityaz»: benthic, icthyological, planktonic and reefological. Will get acquainted with collections of bowls of sea molluscs, corals. Learn about the animals living in depths of ocean, will touch the secrets of the life at ocean and will visit on a place of the scientist-biologist working on a research vessel.
You can visit a showroom where new exhibitions monthly are opened. Beside these to look sea and oceanologic technics which is located in territory of a museum. Other temptations collected in a museum are underwater manned device «Pysis», underwater towed device «Tetis», a hydrographic boat, life boats with wooded barge «Krusenstern», cabin of a submarine, the subjects lifted from the bed of Pregolij.
Christ the Savior cathedral
Christ the Savior cathedral has appeared and in Kaliningrad. The president of Russia Vladimir Putin and the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexey II have taken part in solemn opening of a new cathedral. The head of the state has noted: «the new cathedral in Kaliningrad will become the spiritual center and will help to the development of friendship and mutual understanding in region».
Kaliningrad Christ the Savior cathedral is the first orthodox temple in this city. Till now orthodox churches in Kaliningrad were placed in Catholic and lutheran temples. Construction of a cathedral has begun 11 years ago under the project of Kaliningrad architect Oleg Kopylov. It is constructed in traditional Russian-Byzantian style. It is on 3000 person. In June of the same year in the basis of the future cathedral the capsule with the consecrated ground taken from under walls of a temple of the Christ the Savior cathedral in Moscow has been incorporated. Height of a temple is about 70 meters. It is the highest building in city centre. 17 bells are cast in Chelyabinsk, and the iconostasis of the central altar is made by masters of St.-Petersburg.
Museum of Amber
It is a unique museum in Russia which has been conceived as a museum of one mineral - amber. It is opened in 1979. It is located in the original tower on lay-out constructed in the middle of XIX century and was in the system of city strengthenings of Kyonigsberg.
The exposition of the museum by matter devides on two equivalent parts: natural-scientific and cultural-historical. Owing to affinity of Palmnikenskij deposit where about 90 % of world reserves of amber is concentrated, the museum managed to collect extraordinary various collection of «a solar stone»: by weight, form, color and a degree of a transparency. The collection of amber with various animal and vegetative inclusions numbers more than 1000 samples.
The ornaments and subjects of a life of amber from the epoch of neolith up to now are collected in a cultural-historical part of a museum.
Original products of XVII-XVIII centuries present a special value - the epoch of flowering of art of amber processing. Among them there are unique works of old German masters transferred in gift to a museum by the Armory Museum of the Moscow Kremlin: a ceremonial cane of one of Russian patriarches, decorative plates, casket, the Catholic crucifixion.
The special place in this number take the scientific reconstruction of the well-known Amber room executed by the Petersburg restorers: model of one of the panels in 1/5 full sizes, an ornamental composition from a southern wall and three full-scale fragments of the Amber room as well.
The anniversary bridge
Among the numerous gifts received the Kaliningradians to the 750 anniversary of city, this is the most fantastic. Pedestrian drawbridge over the river Pregolja, on a place of the destroyed German one. Now it is the most shortest way from Island to city centre and back.
The bridge stands on piers constructed in 1905 and the Imperial bridge destroyed in 1945 (Kaiser-Brucke). As the architecture of the new bridge repeats the shape of Kaiser-Brucke, it is possible to speak about reconstruction. The anniversary bridge is made pedestrian and drawbridge.
The anniversary bridge, and beside beautiful granite quay and a nice cosy small house from which management of the bridge is conducted, - one of the most romantic places in city. Joyful appointments, walks under the moon, kind fantastic conditions - what else is necessary for happiness for the present romanticism?!
Ethnographic and trading-craft center in Kaliningrad. Is a block of houses built in the German style. Thus Fishing Village stylized architecture of pre-war Konigsberg.
Fishing village situated on the October island, between the October Street and the river Pregel. The complex stretches from Honey Bridge to High Bridge.
Ethnographic complex "Fish Village" is located on the bank of the river Pregel and stylized architectural style fish market prewar Konigsberg. This is one of the most beautiful and interesting places in our city.
Complex consists of 14 objects: Quarter "Albrecht's Tower", Quarter "Karolyn's Yard", Hotel "Suvorov", Information center, Species Tower "Lighthouse", River station, Hotel "Skipper", Hotel "Kaiser's Mug", Sports and Recreation Centre "Rowing Club", Administrative and business center "Fish Market", Complex "Pregolsky passage", Quarter "Staroganzeysky", Species tower "Lomse", Cultural and business center "Bessel's Tower", Drawbridge across r.Pregel,
Building for maintenance of bridge's mechanisms.
Among them are not only hotels and restaurants, but also a lot of souvenir and jewelry shops, tourist information center, a sports and entertainment center, a business center, two species of the tower, drawbridge across Pregel and even river station.
We recommend you to visit folowing web pages of our friends and partners:
Limited Liability Company
«BALTIC AGENT COMPANY»
236000, Kaliningrad, 5 Pravaya Naberezhnaya str.
tel/fax +7 (4012) 696863, fax +7 (4012) 696610
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.marinakaliningrad.ru
Cathedral in Kaliningrad
The new Cathedral was devoted to the Sacred Christ’s Body, according to chronics of 1335, and Maiden Maria, All Saints and St. Albert, according to chronics of 1421. At 1528 Cathedral became the property of district of Kneiphof.
Cathedral used to be the place where the most eminent representatives of Church and world were buried.
There were more than hundred gravestones and epitaphs inside and outside of Cathedral, which dates from different periods of time and has different art level. The first burial dates from 1335 year- it is burial of Ludger von Braunschweig - the Great Magister of Teutonic Orden. The latest burial dates from 1809 year - it is the burial of deadborn Prince Wilhelm’s son.
In 1588 in the Nord part of Cathedral was founded the professorial burial place.On the 28th February of 1804 there was buried the great German philosopher Immanuel Kant. The grave and the gave stone of Julius Rupp - the founder of “Free Catholic- Evangelic Community”, representative of democratic movement of 40th of XIX century, member of Prussian Parliament during 1849-1862- remained in the south side of Cathedral’s territory - on the “bishop square”. In the Nord Cathedral’s tower Chancellor Martin von Wallenrodt founded the Wallenrodt Library. There were more than 10 thousand books about Prussian history and history of nobility.
In 1591 altar part was completely built and new altar was made. Big organ appeared in Cathedral in 1721. But in 1888 it was replaced with new one, made by M. Sterletskiy. In 1833 Cathedral was completely repaired.
Many times Cathedral was in Fire and then it was repaired - every time. During the Second World War of 1941-1945 it was strongly destroyed after the bombardments. The interior hasn’t remained, gravestones with epitaphs has remained just partly. Since 1992 the Cathedral church is being resurrected after the Second World War. The Cathedral is one of the oldest monuments of architecture. It has the great art-architectural and historic meaning.
Immanuel Kant’s grave
Immanuel Kant was buried in 1804 on the north side of the Cathedral.
In 1881 the grave was ennobled by introducing a small funeral chapel, whose walls were adorned with a copy of Raphael's painting "The School of Athens."
In 1924 the chapel was replaced by an open colonnade designed by F. Lars. After World War II, the grave of the famous philosopher, has been restored.
The zoo of Kaliningrad locates in territory of former Kyonigsburg zoo which has been based by Herman Klaass, the German businessman. By the moment of opening, on May, 21st, 1896, there was nine hundred units of animal of two hundred sixty kinds in its collection. Exotic exhibitions continuously replacing each other, concerts of symphonic music, performance of a wind band have enabled a zoo in two years considerably to improve the financial position: 2900 Kyonigsburgers had subscriptions on visiting of zoo. The collection of animals in 1910 has reached 2161 units - the biggest for its history.
By the end of the second decade of the existence the zoo has reached unknown flourishing. But with the beginning of the first world war there was set a task: all available buildings and constructions have been filled by military regimentals, and on August, 17th the zoo has absolutely closed for visitors. Only in 1918 the zoo again was opened. The next years position of zoo improved slowly.
In 1933 it was necessary to repair and update premises on own means. Then zoo has got a modern state and the main portal. The new plan of construction made in 1935, demanded greater money. City dwellers have expressed the readiness to give annually, since 1936, in the order of a zoo 50 000 German marks during ten years. Besides the special lottery in favour of zoo has been founded. Thus, the conceived reconstruction has been successfully completed.
Kyonigsburg zoo annually exposed a rich alive collection for review. Especially its experts have achieved greater successes in 1923 - they have got offspring of condor. At the beginning of the 30's tigers, leopards, zebras, elks, emus, penguins, sea lions were well breeding here; the elephant, the hippopotamus, rhinoceroses, greater antelopes, orangutans, a chimpanzee contained as well.
About the life of zoo the next years - before the beginning of the second world war and during it - there were not kept data practically.
As a result of storm of Kyonigsburg the buildings and open-air cages have been destroyed, and only four animals has left here: the fallow deer, a badger, a donkey and wounded hippopotamus named Hans. The hippopotamus has been found in ditch of zoo. It had seven bullet wounds! Owing to efforts of veterinaries hippopotamus Hans has survived and became the first large animal of the Kaliningrad zoo. Probably, that's why it is a symbol of zoo.
On June, 27th, 1947 Kaliningrad zoo has been opened for visitors. The collection numbering just 50 kinds, began to replenish quickly owing to the help of zoos of other countries, and also through Zoological association. The greater help to a zoo in formation of a collection was rendered by the Kaliningrad seamen who has presented to it many valuable animals.
In 1973 the new stage in the life of zoo has begun. Many industrial enterprises, the building organizations, project institutes of city have secured each building object and have taken patronage over it. They have constructed and have repaired more than hundred thirty constructions and open-air cages, dam and pedestrian bridges through a stream, have laid water, sewer and electric networks, have established decorative benches, have made paths, laid out lawns.
In 1980 construction of open-air cages for the mountain animals located along a park stream has ended. In 1982 the small town has opened for children, drawing attention with multi-coloured domes and roofs of intricate wooden small houses.
The years passed, it has turned to a unique monument of wild life from a zoo once created for entertainment of visitors. In territory of 16,5 hectares inhabitants of all corners of globe do not only live, but also there magnificent arboretum locates, presented by exotic trees and bushes. A relic tree meets visitors at input - 2 axled ginkgo - the coeval of dinosaurs. Till now it is possible to see some objects of pre-war construction owing to which the spirit old Kyonigsburg was kept in zoo.
In the center of zoo the biggest and beautiful fountain in city which jets rise on 18-meter height is located. Constructed those far years, it has been restored to the 100 anniversary of zoo. The collection of zoo for 01.01.04 is presented by 2049 units of 320 kinds of animals from which 51 kind is put down in the International Red Book. The Kaliningrad zoo is a constant member of the European Association of zoos and aquariums (EARAZA), uniting zoos of the CIS countries.The zoo participates in many international programs on cultivation and preservation of rare kinds.
Last years the offspring of rare animals - snow leopards, zebras, flat tapirs, white-headed ñèïîâ is received. The collection of zoo has replenished with group of Bennet's 7 kangaroos, curly pelicans, daur cranes, pair young lions are delivered. The new modern open-air cage for snow leopards, an open-air cage with a small house for the she-bear with support of inhabitants of England is constructed. Active cooperation with zoos of Russia and the European countries opens greater opportunities for development of a zoo.
For kids attractions, children's playgrounds, small town «Pryg-skok» with manual kids work.